If I have just moved to Madison County, may I apply for a state pistol permit to carry a concealed weapon?

Yes. Please click here for all details.

Where do I apply for an Alabama state pistol permit?

You may obtain an application in the Madison County Courthouse, Room 206, Madison County Courthouse.

Office Hours: Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. We apologize for the inconvenience but we are unable to issue permits after 4:30 p.m.

In addition, applications may also be obtained at our Criminal Investigations Division, 715-A Wheeler Ave or the application is avaiable online. Click here.

All, however, must be presented to the Sheriff's Office, Madison County Courthouse, or mailed to the Madison County Sheriff’s Office, Attn: Pistol Permits, 100 Northside Sq, Rm 206, Huntsville, AL 35801 Applications obtained at this location, however, must be presented at the Sheriff's Office, Madison County Courthouse.

How long does it take for my pistol permit application to be approved?

If the Sheriff has no knowledge otherwise and/or the background check reflects no reason(s) and the applicant is otherwise legally eligible, the Sheriff “shall” issue the permit within 30 days. The Sheriff’s Office will be mailing you written information regarding your pistol permit application. Please allow 30 days to receive this information prior to contacting our office.

Is there a fee for obtaining an Alabama state pistol permit?

Yes. The paper permit is $10. We do offer an optional plastic/ photo identification card for $20 a year. You may purchase multiple years at one time, up to 5 years total. The fee for the permit shall be what is allowed by local act multiplied by the number of years the applicant wants the permit to be valid. The cost for renewal is the same as initial issue.

How do I report a crime to the Sheriff's Department?

If the crime is "in progress," call 9-1-1. If the crime has already occurred and no immediate emergency exists, call 722-7181 to request a Deputy come to your location and make an Incident Report.

How do I obtain a copy of my report for insurance purposes? Is there a fee?

The person filing an Incident Report (the victim) is the only person who may obtain a copy of the report. Incident Report copies may be obtained at our Criminal Investigation Division, 715-A Wheeler Ave.8 AM to 4 PM Tuesday thru Friday and 12 noon until 4 PM on Monday's.

What should I do if I suspect someone is involved in selling or trafficking in drugs?

You may report your suspicions to our Vice & Narcotics Unit by calling 256-533-8852. You do not have to give your name when reporting your suspicions.

Who should I contact if I suspect my child, or children, of being involved in gang activity?

You may call our Vice & Narcotics at 256-533-8852. An Investigator can provide information on what you should look for if you suspect such activity.

What are the types of bonds available for a person to use to be released from the Madison County Jail?

A person may be released on his/her own recognizance, through the Pre-Trial Release Program, through a private bonding company, by the posting of a Property Bond or by posting a "Cash Bond".

What are the visiting hours for persons who are in jail?

Visiting hours are as follows:Main Jail Facility: 1st and 2nd floor housing.Female inmates can have visitors on Saturday, 11 AM to 12:30 PM and on Sunday from 11 AM to 12:30 PM.Male Inmates can have visitors on Saturday, 12:30 PM to 3 PM and on Sunday from 12:30 PM to 3 PM.Courthouse Facility:Visiting hours are from 12 noon to 2 PM on Sunday only.Annex Facility:Inmates housed in the south-side Annex Facility may have visitors from 12 noon to 2 PM on SaturdayInmates can be visited by immediate family only after providing photo identification. Children must be at least 12 years old and be in possession of identification.

May I bring money to persons who are in jail?

Persons in jail are not allowed to have money in their possession. Money Orders may be left for an inmate in a “Drop Box” marked Swanson Services that is located outside of the main control room of The Madison County Detention Facility located at 815 Wheeler Avenue. All money orders must have the inmates name, inmate number and the name and return address of the depositor.

If I live in a state other than Alabama and want the Sheriff's Office to serve Civil Process papers on a resident of Madison County, is there a charge?

Yes. There is a $20.00 fee per Civil Process paper. This fee, payable by either money order or cashier's check only, should be sent with each Civil Process paper along with a self-addressed stamped envelope for "Return of Service".

Is the home address of the person to be served a Civil Process paper sufficient?

>We prefer that, if you have an alternate place of service (work address, for example), you include this information on the Civil Process paper to be served along with the home address.

If I am having a person evicted from property I own or manage, are there any special requirements of me?

You should include on the "Notice of Eviction" the name and telephone number of someone locally who will be able to meet a Deputy where and when an eviction is to take place, or your telephone number so you can be contacted and arrange to meet a Deputy at the site of the eviction. If a defendant moves prior to the date set for the eviction to occur, you should call our Civil Division at 256-532-3421 to advise that a physical eviction from your property will not be required.

If I own or manage property and am having a tenant(s) evicted, may I hold the tenant's personal property until any monies owed me for rent or damages is paid?

No. To recover money owed for rent or damages, you must, as a "civil matter," sue the evicted tenant(s) in either District Court or Circuit Court. Questions about this process may be addressed to either the District Court Clerk or Circuit Court Clerk at the Madison County Courthouse.

As a citizen, may I be fingerprinted by the Madison County Sheriff's Department?

Yes. Citizens are fingerprinted at our Criminal Investigations Division, 715-A Wheeler Ave., between the hours of 9
A.M. and 3 P.M. You must provide the fingerprint card, or cards, and a picture I.D. There is a $10.00 (cash) fee for each fingerprint card made. If possible, please bring the correct amount of the fee. We do not fingerprint persons for teacher certification or for immigration purposes.

May I bring my child, or children, to be fingerprinted?

Children are fingerprinted in school through a cooperative arrangement with the Huntsville/Madison County Senior Center by senior volunteers. This is done each school year and there is no charge.

What is the procedure for a citizen to commend a Sheriff's Department employee?

We request that you submit a commendation letter to the Sheriff containing the name of the employee and the circumstances surrounding the commendation (to include the date, time and location). Commendation letters should be sent to: Sheriff Blake Dorning, Madison County Sheriff's Office, 100 Northside Square, Huntsville, Alabama, 35801.